The Last of Latrobe: Gothic Revival Porter’s Cottage at Sedgeley, Fairmont Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Looking Northwest at the Porter's Cottage, once just an ancillary building of the larger Sedgeley estate--now Fairmont Park. Note the cantilevered porte couche (a later addition to the building) with its bracketed supports. This feature is one common of "lodge" buildings constructed in the 19th century, as the Porter's Cottage almost resembles a lodge more than a cottage in its current late 19th century state. The Latrobe-designed mansion of Sedgeley estate was lost long ago, in the 19th century to fire.
Looking southwest, at the rear elevation, much like the primary facade, of the Porter's Cottage at Sedgeley. The building is one of numerous designed by Henry Benjamin Latrobe in Philadelphia throughout his career as one of America's most successful architects. However, it is the last remaining Latrobe building in Philadelphia.
Looking southeast, one can see the rear elevation details of the Porter's Cottage at Sedgeley. The central portion of the building was designed in 1857 by Henry Benjamin Latrobe. This portion of the building is evident as near the middle of the photograph the stone type changes denoting the later 19th century enlargement of the once much smaller cottage. In addition to the stone work, the four chimney pots at the center of the building differ in their ornate quality from the that of the addition (on right). Much of the Vicotorian, Gothic Revival gingerbread is not original and was added later in the 19th century.
Share on Facebook