Rehoboth Beach Vol. Fire Co., Rehoboth Beach, DE
Station 86, the Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company was founded as a reorganization of the Rehoboth Beach Fire Company (founded in 1906), on March 20, 1925. While we have perused an interesting history of the company, we are most interested in its most recognizable symbol–its building at 219 Rehoboth Avenue in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
Breaking ground on construction in 1947, the one-story portion of the firehouse shown above featured two bays for equipment, a kitchen, storerooms, a boiler room, a lounge, and a combination meeting and recreation room. The building cost roughly $56,580.00 to construct and was dedicated on October 1, 1949. The two story garage and maintenance facility was added in the 1950s.
This firehouse has a sort of mid-century colonial revivial feel with original signage that is evocative of the period of construction. The central entrance was, at one time open, but was enclosed and the bell tower added to house the original early twenieth century bell. Behind the central enclosure is the original entrance, including wood doors, to the firehouse.
We enjoy this building. It has a nice feeling about it along Rehoboth Avenue.