Bartholomew County Courthouse and Veterans Memorial, Columbus, Indiana
Blending the old withthe new in Columbus, Indiana’s public square, Bartholomew County has embraced embraced both the past and the future through historic preservation and the employment of high styled modern architecture.
The Bartholomew County Courthouse completed in the French Renaissance taste in 1874. Over 100 years later, the Bartholomew County Veterans Memorial was completed from a design by Charles Rose Architects, Inc. The memorial is comprised of a grid of twenty-five limestone pillars honoring soldiers from Bartholomew County who died in 20-th century wars.
While the courthouse and the memorial are very different architecturally, the two works have a certain harmony together when is even more apparent when on the ground. Numerous modern schemes are designed to look good in photographs, which is why we have included this very normative architecturally inexpressive photograph to show that even without particular emphasis on angles and views of the two works, they are still very harmonious and impressive together.