Apparently the Blind Card Was Pulled at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, Schermerhorn Pavilion, 310 East 14th Street, New York, New York
AApparently the Blind Card Was Pulled at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
Schermerhorn Pavilion, 310 East 14th Street, New York, New York
With all due respect, we must call your attention to the drastic different between the two buildings that represent The New York Eye & Ear Infirmary.
Above: Looking northeast in the second avenue, this photo depicts the principal buildings (of four) that represent the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary at 310 East 14th Street in New York City. The building to the left, the Infirmary North Building was completed in 1968 around the corner from their earlier Schermerhorn Pavilion brought to its current appearance in 1903.
Established in the 1820s, the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary moved to its current site in the the 1850s with funds totaling $30,000–a third of which was provided by the state. The original building was located on 13th Street, but within the same city block. The four-story brownstone with a 40 to 50 patient capacity was completed on April 25, 1856.
Above: The New York Eye & Ear Infirmary building completed in 1856.
The infirmary quickly outgrew this building, yet the additions, renovations and changes were insufficient over the next several decade. In 1890, the a development plan for the new site began its preparations. The building we know today as Schermerhorn Pavilion was a redesign of the original building and additions to a configuration and facade appearance that represented an entirely new building. Completed in 1893, it is said to be one of the few extant buildings designed by Stanford White (1853-1906), the eminent New York architect, a principal of the great McKim, Meade and White. Other of his extant designs include the Century Club, the University Club, and the Washington Arch. Exciting stuff, right? So what are we complaining about?
Above: Pirated photograph of Schermerhorn Hall in its entirety.
Between 1893 and the mid 1960s the infirmary’s responsibilities, primarily the number of patients, grew exponentially as New York’s population exploded exponetially in the 20th century. To support the needs of the infirmary, the North Building was constructed, completed in 1968, with 207 beds, 10 operating theaters, and a staff of over 150 physicians.
Above: The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary’s North Building, which is the actually the representative of its principal address–310 East 14th Street.
We will not go into a rant or rave about the horror that took place in 1968–the assasination of both Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy…the Vietnam War and its various battles…construction of this building…
Yes, we know, it sounds absurd, but think of it this way: when we go to see what the great Stanford White designed for eyes and ears, this is what we see…